(i) Four of Swords YouTube Video
Four of Swords : My in-depth YouTube Video on the Four of Swords of the Thoth Tarot deck may be viewed below by clicking on the image:
(ii) Thoth Four of Swords
In the four of swords, the four swords are symmetrically arranged over a green St Andrew Cross. Their points are sheathed in a row of 49 petals.
Definition of Truce = rest from conflict, so we have a mind that is negotiating some sort of temporary resolution to things at the moment.
(iii) Rider Waite Four of Swords
(iv) The Four of Swords & The Tree of Life
Associated with Chesed in Yetzirah in the third world.
(v) Shemhamphorasch Angels of the Four of Swords
Lauviah: Acts against torments and sadness. Permanent state of joy, spiritual ascension.
Caliel: Divine justice. Discerns what is right. Law, integrity, honesty.
(vi) Astrology of the Four of Swords
1. Decan: 3rd Decan of Libra (21 – 30 degrees) ruled by Jupiter
2. Jupiter in Libra
Libra = Tries to find balance in our lives. This need for balance can cause much unrest to achieve its goals! On the other hand Libra can also induce indecisiveness rather than action so ironically Libra can exhibit
Jupiter = gives a period of rest from a difficult situation as well as an open(higher) mind a flexibility which is needed to resolve conflicts in life. So from Jupiter we are able to use higher mind to see things from a different viewpoint and move on.
(vii) Symbology of the Four of Swords
The 4 represents a period of stability from the hardships and turmoil of the 3. It is a temporary respite as there is still much to be done to get where we want to go.
Yellow spikey chaotic lines = yellow representing air, chaotic thoughts. Represent conflicts that have/ are taking place in our life & we now have some respite from them. The 4 swords (aspects of us) are protected from the chaos at present.
St Andrews Cross = associated with the apostle St Andrew who thought himself unworthy to be crucified in the same manner as Jesus, so there is something about this saying there is a lack of self-esteem in the querent, or at least a lack of confidence. Green is associated with Libra. Cross of sacrifice has been made to restore a sense of harmony but this is only temporary.
49 petalled rose = social harmony (7×7), & also the mystical number of Venus which rules Libra.
Four Swords = The hilts of the swords bear the symbols of the 4 elements:
Chaotic lines = air
Wavy Lines = water
Flames = fire
Disks = earth
The points of the swords are sheathed within the rose. This indicates that we have now some respite from the conflict within our lives. We need to recharge our spirit represented by the rose.
Blue background behind chaos = Jupiter adding expansion of consciousness when this phase of truce has passed. Doesn’t mean life will be easy straight away but we have the potential for change for the better in the future.
(viii) Quotes from the Book of Thoth
“Minds too indolent too cowardly to think out their own problems hail joyfully this policy of appeasement.” (p.205)
My interpretation of the above = false comfort in those that don’t have the strength to work out situations on their own.
(ix) Divinatory Meanings of the Four of Swords
Four of Swords Upright
- Needing to take time out from a stressful situation, even a holiday may be needed to recharge the batteries!
- Conflicts will not go away but time out is needed from them; rest & recovery from stressful situations
- May need time out to reorganise your life so that it is not so stressful.
- Something is not resolved, but lurking underneath waiting to be confronted again when the time comes to rise again from your bed of mental rest and tackle those decisions, fears, challenges. Make the most of this mental rest in order to be at your strongest when you need to face the issues at hand, but don’t over indulge in taking time out because situations, problems, unavoidable circumstances of living life can grow into bigger or more challenging problems while your head is still under the covers. Trust your intuition to know when enough rest is enough for you.
Four of Swords Reversed
- Refusing to take time out despite stress levels being high.
- Have taken time out but it has not worked well enough for you to get the rest or distance from a situation you have needed to resolve.
- Too many compromises have been made to achieve some sort of truce and this means that you are still mulling things over continuously in your head.
- Too much time taken out and not knowing when to jump back in and move on with your life.
- Loss of confidence and lack of self-esteem in this issue.